May 15, 2024, 01:57:24 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Speeding through Organics  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Brian Lin

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Speeding through Organics
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
Hello! I have a quick question on Organics.

Is it possible to grind through a whole Organic textbook front to back in like 2 months?

My stats:

I have problem solving skills after doing so many challenge gen chem problem sets. I have also done  USNCO gen. chem problems. I am willing to devote sleeping time to for study. I also LOVE memorizing.

I am using Klein's Organics 1st Edition.

Offline Shadow

• Mole Snacks: +5/-11
Re: Speeding through Organics
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:23:59 AM »
Go for it.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Is it possible to grind through a whole Organic textbook front to back in like 2 months?
... I also LOVE memorizing.

This is how ochem gets a bad reputation. If you don't understand, memorize. Even though you could, I would hope you would actually learn how the principles connect to the results.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Il Divo

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

... I also LOVE memorizing.

This is how ochem gets a bad reputation. If you don't understand, memorize. Even though you could, I would hope you would actually learn how the principles connect to the results.

Agreed. Depending on the class, you probably could get through Orgo using routine memorization. But it's far more effective (and much easier) to understand why electrons flow the way they do and what accounts for the characteristic reactivities of the different functional groups. Once you do that and with a whole lot of practice, it makes understanding synthetic chemistry a whole lost easier.

Sponsored Links