May 14, 2024, 02:48:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: molar magnetic suscetibility  (Read 2237 times)

Offline goebki

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
molar magnetic suscetibility
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
Hi,

i have to calculate the molar magnt. suscep. of copper (the result is given, chi= -72,3E-12 m3 mol-1), that means i have to find the approach to this solution.
This is the exercise: A diamagnetic copper bar with a cross section of 1 cm-2 is at 298K in air in a gouy balance. After switching on the magnetic field, one measures a force of 3,95E-4 N, if this magnetic field has a strength of H = 8,00E5 Am-1 on one end and H = 8,00E3 Am-1 at the other end. What is the molar magnetic susceptibility of copper, if the molar magnetic susceptibility of Nitrogen -151E-12 m3 mol-1 and of Oxygen 42,9E-9 m3 mol-1 is. The composition of air is 79 Vol% Nitrogen and 21 Vol% Oxygen. The density of copper is 8,96 g cm-3.
In the attachment you can see my solution, the formula of this gouy balance is well known.
My problem is, i donĀ“t know how to calculate the susceptibility of air (Chi (a)). This term must be negative to get the given result (which is a negative term). Can i neglect the paramagnetiv influence of oxygen?

It would be great, if you could give me some hints, to get the result (which is already given).

thanks, goebki

Sponsored Links