May 15, 2024, 02:14:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding the max velocity and MM-Constant of glucose oxidase in literature  (Read 512 times)

Offline stw.1994

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi. I am attempting to determine the Kinetic parameters of glucose oxidase, specifically max velocity and MM-Constant. I have already conducted an experiment using a colorimetric assay added to different concentrations of glucose along an electron donor (2'-2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenz-thiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) (ABTS)), and a spectrometer to determine the absorption (which should be linear to the concentration of the colorimetric assay). I am attempting to compare my derived max velocity and MM-Constant in literature.

I had assumed it would be trivial. It was not. So far, I have exhausted the methods I know to locate information on the max velocity and MM-constant. Searching for academic literature or technical documentation on Google, Google Scholar, IEEE XPlore has yielded me many other elements in glucose oxidase, but not max velocity and MM-Constant. Going through the datasheets of glucose oxidase from suppliers such as Sigma-Aldritch fails to provide me with the numbers. I don't know what other avenues I should explore, so I've come here.  :)

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +323/-23
The maximum velocity depends on the concentration of enzyme.  If two enzyme preparations are pure, then one can compare the values of the turnover number kcat, which is equal to Vmax/[E]total.  One also has to specify the organism from which the enzyme derives.

One place to look for enzyme information is BRENDA.  I would probably go there first, but if that is not successful, Pubmed is a useful tool for searching the biochemical literature. There is also an older publication "Biochemica Information" edited by Joseph Keesey and published by Boeringer Mannheim that has some information and tips on this enzyme on pp. 27-28.  Methods of Enzymatic Analysis edited by Bergmeyer also has some information.

Sponsored Links