Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: K equation?  (Read 5326 times)

Offline hiiamhere

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
K equation?
« on: August 05, 2007, 02:08:58 PM »
At high temperature, HCL and O2 react to give CL2 gas:
4 HCL(g)+O2(g)<-->2CL2(g)+2 H2O(g).
If HCL at 2.30 bar and O2 at 1 bar react at 750k, the equilibrium pressure of CL2 is measured to be 0.93 bar. Determine the value of Keq at 750k.

Im totally lost here. At first I thought it was asking for an equation, i.e, k=reactants/products, but im sure thats wrong. I find this question unfair because we haven't gone over bar pressure or anything related to this type of question.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: K equation?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:46:15 PM »
Bar is a unit of pressure equal to 105 Pa.  It is a convenient unit of pressure because it is derived from SI units and atmospheric pressure is about 1.013 bar.  To convert bars to other units of pressure see below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_%28unit%29

My hints for this problem:
1)  Write the expression for Keq for this reaction (note: are you looking for Kp or Kc?)
2)  Find the final concentrations/pressures of all of the gases at equilibrium using stoichiometry (e.g. if 0.93 bar of Cl2 is produced, how much HCl was used?)
3) Plug these values into the expression for K in #1.

Another useful hint:  Chlorine is Cl not CL.  All elements whose symbol consists of two letters have a lower case letter for the second letter in their symbol.  This way chemists can tell the difference between CO (carbon monoxide) and Co (cobalt).

Offline hiiamhere

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 11:08:50 PM »
ok, I think I got it. Thanks for the help.
yeah, CL was a typo, I meant Cl.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 04:32:50 AM »
It seems something is wrong. In closed system these should be partial pressures (sum will be 3.3 bar, and never in this case, after reaction the final pressure can be 0.93 bar)
AWK

Sponsored Links