May 11, 2024, 05:12:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ideas for chemistry extended essay?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline johnson34

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ideas for chemistry extended essay?
« on: February 18, 2016, 08:04:29 PM »
Hello all,

I am writing this post because I have been brainstorming ideas for a chemistry extended essay (ib) and haven't found anything viable. Initially, I was thinking about doing something on how moisture in wood affects its chemical properties, but I can't figure out what I would experiment exactly. I appreciate any response,

Thank you.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Ideas for chemistry extended essay?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:50 PM »
Normally I would post this
You have to show your attempts or thoughts at solving the question to receive help.
This is a forum policy.
Click on the link near the top center of the forum page.
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting.
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=65859.0

But I see you have some thoughts
and yet I think you might give some more information so we can see where you are heading.
Of course if you have other ideas we might  be able to start the storm.

Offline johnson34

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:51:48 PM »
I have now read the guidelines - I should have done so before and hope you can excuse this (this is my first time on a forum like this).

Obviously conductivity is a major variable when it comes to wood moisture, but that idea has been tested before. I was thinking that another variable could be different types of wood (oak, pine, maple, etc.), but I have yet to see what property they differ in.
Alternatively, I found out that wood is generally more dense in certain parts (called late wood) and less dense in other parts (early wood). This difference explains the familiar ring/line pattern we see in wood. I could then test how conductivity is altered by density?
Upon further research on moisture, I found that water forms hydrogen bonds with the hydrogen in the carbohydrate chains that make up wood (moisture works this way within the wood's cellulose).

I appreciate any insight, thanks again.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:40:57 PM »
If you want a topic that you can work with easily, then for a high school project that doesn't really require it ...

Don't use a biological product.

I don't know why you gravitated to wood but you seem to know there is variability in wood under certain circumstances, but those are even significant form sample to sample.  You've made this project ridiculously complicated, without even beginning.

Quickly switch the topic to something using a laboratory chemical, that can be purchased to defined purity.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline johnson34

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
^ I understand your concern, but unfortunately, I have already started down this path and am already over a deadline, so at this point I'm simply looking for a way to analyze this topic empirically.

Thanks for you insight anyway, though. It will help me in the evaluation of the lab.

Sponsored Links