May 05, 2024, 08:49:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The Effect of Concrete on a neutralization RXN?  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Hapster

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The Effect of Concrete on a neutralization RXN?
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:40:59 AM »
The following question is a sub-question derived from this simulated incident:  A student accidentally spills a 1.00 L bottle of concentrated (100%, not aqueous) 18.0 M sulfuric acid on the floor of the laboratory.  She attempts to neutralize the spill by pouring a 5.00 kg box of baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate - NaHCO3) onto the acid. 

question:  Would a floor consisting of bare concrete require more, less, or the same amount of baking soda to neutralize the spill.  Explain. 

Seeing as this is just a problem which I have no idea how to answer, or ever where to start, I cannot actual show that I have attempted the problem, but trust me, a good amount of time has been spent investigating and brainstorming ideas, but without success. 

Any help, even a hint, is greatly appreciated. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: The Effect of Concrete on a neutralization RXN?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:00:35 AM »
You were not given any information about the original floor. Thus you are asked to compare apple with youcantbeevensureitsfruit. IMHO no way to precisely answer the question.

I suppose that the idea was that you have to take a look at concrete composition and check if its components will in any way react with sulfuric acid (neutralizing it for example) - or it is an open question which is targeted at checking your ability to think (thus no one good answer).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links