May 13, 2024, 03:17:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polymerisation question  (Read 2131 times)

Offline hm389

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Polymerisation question
« on: November 28, 2017, 11:35:20 AM »
I have a question regarding polymerisation that I need some guidance with.  Here is the question:

'Step reaction polymerisation of lactide gives polylactide. A sample of polylactide was prepared by bulk polymerisation of lactide. Ignoring any contribution of end groups to molecular weight, calculate what conversion would be needed for the reaction to give a polymer with Mn (number average molecular weight) of 495 000 g mol-1, and estimate Mw (weight average) if you assume a most probable distribution. Molar mass of lactide is 144g mol-1.'

I understand what the terms Mn and Mw mean, but am unsure about what it means by 'calculate what conversion would be needed', does this mean conversion between Mn and Mw? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +297/-12
Re: Polymerisation question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
No, it means conversion of monomer to polymer. Suppose a fraction p of the monomers have reacted to become part of polymer molecules. Do you know (or can you work out) an equation relating Mn to p?

Offline hm389

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:54:55 PM »
No, it means conversion of monomer to polymer. Suppose a fraction p of the monomers have reacted to become part of polymer molecules. Do you know (or can you work out) an equation relating Mn to p?

Thank you for your reply. I have just looked over my lecture notes and I am still unsure/ can't work out an equation relating Mn to p.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:57 PM »
Look up the Carothers equation.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:13:54 PM by wildfyr »

Offline hm389

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »
Look up the Carothers equation.

Ok, so if I use Mw/ Mn= 1 + p, to solve for p and I only know Mn, how would I go about working out the value of Mw?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:26:37 PM by Borek »

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:07:28 AM »
The Carothers equation is Xn=1/(1-p) where Xn is the degree of polymerization (aka the number of monomer units in a chain). You don't need Mw for it, only Mn and the molecular weight of a monomer unit.

What do we know about the polydispersity of step-growth polymerization? What is a reasonable value for Mw to make the PDI=Mw/Mn equation true?

Or, you could look at the wikipedia page for Carothers equation (shocking, I know) and scroll down and see how to solve for Mw directly just knowing p and the monomer unit in a equimolar step growth polymerization.

Sponsored Links