May 16, 2024, 10:13:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: unkown compound type of question  (Read 3547 times)

Offline portugal

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
unkown compound type of question
« on: March 04, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »
I have been given this question i have determined the classes of each compound as shown below  but the only thing i dont know is for A and C how am i supposed to know how carbons each contains from D's molecular formula????
A- primary alchol
B-carboxylic acid
C- ....oyl chloride( cant tell until get number of carbons in B)
D- Ester

An unknown compound A is treated with potassium permanganate to produce compound B. B is treated with thionyl chloride to produce C. Compounds A and C were reacted together in the presence of a base to produce compound D which had a sweet, fruity smell. Analysis of D revealed a molecular formula of C14H12O2.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
Re: unkown compound type of question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 01:19:09 AM »
Calculate your elements of unsaturation for compound D, that should help you along some of the way in solving the structure.

If you are assuming that A is a primary alcohol, R-COH, which changes to RC(=O)OH upon oxidation, which goes to RC(=O)Cl, you'll see that R stays constant throughout the changes.  So if you combine A and C, you would get R-COH + RC(=O)Cl.  What are you going to lose when A and C *condense*?

Offline portugal

• Mole Snacks: +2/-5
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 01:46:18 AM »
it gives you the ester which is R-CO(=O)C-R. which i found to be benzyl Benzoate and thus A is Phenylmethanol.

However i am confused because is phenylmethanol or benzyl alcohol the sytematic name???

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »
Benzyl alcohol is the IUPAC name but two other are also common, namely
phenylmethanol and phenylcarbinol
AWK

Sponsored Links