May 15, 2024, 10:52:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: equilibrium constant -when does water apply  (Read 6409 times)

briteyellowness

equilibrium constant -when does water apply
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:48:09 PM »
I have an equation where propylammine + cyclohexanone yields amine and water.  My book says that water appears in the equilibrium expression because it is a product.  

But my rules for the equilibrium constants say that pure liquids do not appear, so I am confused as to what a "pure" liquid is because I had always not counted water in my equilibrium constants.  Does pure refer to of the same element, so water with O and H cannot be pure?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:equilibrium constant -when does water apply
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »
In many cases solvent - even if it takes part in equilibrium - doesn't appear in the equilibrium Q quotient because its concentration is assumed to be constant (and thus it is 'moved' into the equilibrium constant). Your rule probably refers to that situation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

briteyellowness

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 05:22:40 PM »
so in the above reaction, the book is right in that water will be incorporated into the equilibrium expression because it is not a solvent (although it is a pure liquid)?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 05:43:38 PM »
That's my understanding, but second opinion will not do any harm ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 09:36:09 PM »
Chemical equilibrium may involve reactions that produce or consume the solvent. However, changes in concentration of solvents are usually insignificant, therefore it is effectively a constant. Consequently, the concentration of the solvent is excluded from the equilibrium expression.

The reaction which you had mentioned is carried out in an organic solvent. The solvent is not water. Water is a relatively scarce quantity, therefore changes in its concentration will be significant. The concentration of water thus must be included in the equilibrium expression.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

briteyellowness

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 09:36:45 AM »
but water doesnt' depend on the concentration of the organic solvent.  it's a pure liquid, and just like solids, i thought it doesn't depend on how much is dissolved in the total solution.  it will just have a concentration of 1.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:48:52 PM »
but water doesnt' depend on the concentration of the organic solvent.  it's a pure liquid, and just like solids, i thought it doesn't depend on how much is dissolved in the total solution.  it will just have a concentration of 1.

No. Note that solid is a different phase. If you have non-mixing liquids (like water and benzene) you will assume - for water - activity of 1. But when the water is dissolved it is completely different situation.

Sponsored Links