Specialty Chemistry Forums > Biochemistry and Chemical Biology Forum

Helium and the Human Body

<< < (2/2)

vulcan2.0:
it would be kinda cool if u could put helium in soda pop 8)

Corvettaholic:
Thats a neat idea... but I don't see how it would alter your voice. I mean, you can't really speak while chugging soda, and the effects of huffing helium don't last too long. Also, how would you get the helium in there in the first place?

vulcan2.0:
Think about it. When they put CO2 in soda the CO2 escapes causing you to burp and I think the same thing would happen with helium. As for getting helium inside it I'd think youd have to use it as a liquid.Acually u could probably use a gas it but would be alot harder. If I had the stuff I would try. Unfortunately I do not.  :'( :'(

movies:
I don't know that you could get any significant amount of helium to dissolve in soda to make the bubbles.

CO2 can react with water to make carbonic acid though, so it can stay in the soda for a while provided there is sufficient pressure (I think the use about 5 atm) and the soda is cold (at higher T most of the CO2 is gas and then just escapes as soon as the can is opened).

As jdurg said, He doesn't really react with anything so there wouldn't be anything to keep it in the solution.

jdurg:
A lot of carbonation stays in the soda because under pressure, the carbonic acid is moderately stable.  As soon as the bottle/can is opened, the carbonic acid decomposes into carbon dioxide and water.  Also, helium doesn't dissolve all too well in water.  That is why it is used in deep sea diving tanks.  It doesn't dissolve all too readily in blood, which is mostly water, so as the diver decompresses bubbles won't form in their bloodstream.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version