May 15, 2024, 11:26:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mass measurement  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
Mass measurement
« on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »
Hi there
im thinking of convinent methods to measure mass in my lab parce que i dont have a chemical balance.
Any ideas?
Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Mass measurement
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
This is going to be tough, a quality lab balance is needed for more than "kitchen chemistry"  Some specialty or health food stores may have a small accurate scale for weighing out tiny amounts.

Good quality lab balances are often useful outside of labs.  When we broke up a lab I used to work in, the engineer took one home.  He said it would be very useful for mixing epoxy.  Instead of eyeballing amounts, he could now be accurate with the masses of the two-part mix.  So maybe a hobbyist along those lines would like to split the price of one with you.

In my old days, I'd read descriptions of making your own two-pan balance, with any old fulcrum.  But for real good accuracy, you'd want a sapphire knife edge, and that is part of the source of the high price.  Plus, with a two pan balance, you now have to acquire calibrated weights to do a massing.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
Re: Mass measurement
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Thanks very much Arkcon. I've been using a scale rule and adjusting my stuffs on it, but it's been horribly inaccurate!...any time i change the knife edge, the masses change:D
It seems a two pan balance is what I need...but how does it work? How do i construct one
Your reply would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:17:40 AM by Arkcon »
Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Sponsored Links