May 21, 2024, 02:26:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making a ZnCl solution from Zinc and HCl - need a little help  (Read 2421 times)

Offline RogueRose

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Making a ZnCl solution from Zinc and HCl - need a little help
« on: February 03, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »
I need a 25% ZnCl solution for an experiment in testing the production of Act Carb.  I have 99.8% zinc available as well as "20 baume" Muriatic acid with a concentration on the label of 31.45%.  I have not tested this to verify the strength but have already dizzolved about .5g of zinc and it was pretty vigorous. 

What I need to know is what are the proportions I need to mix to get a 25% ZnCl2 solution with the above stated ingredients. 

Also, on a side note, I need the same concentration solution (25%) of CaCl2, which I have as bagged  ice melt which seems pretty pure from what I have seen.  If I add 25g of CaCl2 + 75g H2O, would that make the correct solution? 

Thanks for any help here.  It is appreciated!

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Making a ZnCl solution from Zinc and HCl - need a little help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:29:01 AM »
I need a 25% ZnCl solution for an experiment in testing the production of Act Carb. 

I have no idea what that is, but I guess I don't need to.

I have 99.8% zinc available as well as "20 baume" Muriatic acid with a concentration on the label of 31.45%.  I have not tested this to verify the strength but have already dizzolved about .5g of zinc and it was pretty vigorous. 

Good.  That's what I'd expect you'd observe.

What I need to know is what are the proportions I need to mix to get a 25% ZnCl2 solution with the above stated ingredients. 

OK.  That's a pretty easy thing to learn how to do.  This is a learning forum, so even if you're not in high school, we still like to talk you through the process.  Its part of the rules.

Can you start by expressing the reaction in chemical nomenclature?

Also, on a side note, I need the same concentration solution (25%) of CaCl2, which I have as bagged  ice melt which seems pretty pure from what I have seen.  If I add 25g of CaCl2 + 75g H2O, would that make the correct solution? 

That's a fair guess, but it really depends on what's meant by 25%.  And that will depend on the particular application.  But yes, if you have pure calcium chloride, then yes 25 g in total weight 100 g is 25% w/w -- that's weight/weight.  The application may mean w/volume, and not feel the need to be explicit.  You'll have to study that for yourself, or explain your application in more detail.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline RogueRose

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Making a ZnCl solution from Zinc and HCl - need a little help
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 01:51:45 AM »
The act carb - I should have written activated carbon.  As far as the 25% solution, IDK if it is weight or volume related, I suspect weight but I have to look at the old patent. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:28:05 AM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links