May 18, 2024, 10:29:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Glutamic acid/glutamate/glutamine and aspartic acid/aspartate/aspartine  (Read 13922 times)

Offline dbstpdud12

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I just spent couple hours reading about the connection between the acid, amide, and salt...but I still don't get it -_- :'(

Could anybody clarify the relationships? and if possible, also - why does it matter that these relationships exist, what is the salt of amino acid, and what happens to an acidic/basic amino acid?

I know these are bunch of random questions, but I'm so confused... ??? Would be appreciative of any help

Offline renge ishyo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-14
Re: Glutamic acid/glutamate/glutamine and aspartic acid/aspartate/aspartine
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 07:13:23 PM »
It helps if you look at pictures of the chemical structures of the AA's such as the following (source: http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~huskey/563_lec.html):

First look at glutamate. Notice the -CH2-CH2-COO- in the pink box? That is the "R" group and is what makes glutamate different from the other amino acids (they differ depending on what is in the pink box). If we stick a proton on it so that it becomes -CH2-CH2-COOH then we would call it "glutamic acid" instead of glutamate, but these two are more or less the same thing.

Glutamine is a different amino acid found elsewhere in the table. If you take glutamate and replace the "O-" with NH2 then it becomes glutamine (whose R group is -CH2-CH2-CONH2). These subtle differences in structure cause these AA's to behave differently. For example, at pH=7 glutamate has a negative charge and can participate in ionic interactions strongly. However, glutamine is neutral at pH=7 and will not participate to the same extent in ionic interactions at this pH.

Look at Apartate and compare it to glutamate. It is almost the same thing; it is just missing one CH2 group in the R group (and this makes it behave differently than glutamate). If you look at asparagine you will see that the difference there is analogous to what was explained for glutamate/glutamine above.

Offline dbstpdud12

• Very New Member
Re: Glutamic acid/glutamate/glutamine and aspartic acid/aspartate/aspartine
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
Thank you so much~

Offline cc inq

• Very New Member
I am not a scientist; nor am I currently studying science. I'm trying to find out if MSG is, in fact, in all substances known as glutamates.

I see from the description given here that glutamine appears to be a different amino acid from glutamate. Question 1: Does that mean that it is not in any way related to MSG or its effects on the body as is glutamate?

(I am gluten-intolerant and have many food sensitivities. I'm trying to find vitamins without MSG. Many capsules are made with glyserine and/or gelatin, which, apparently, has hidden MSG; others include magnesium stearate and titanium dioxide, other potentially damaging substances.)

Question 2: If I wanted to purchase products without hidden MSG, or substances that have similar effects, what ingredients would I look for so that I can avoid them?

Thanks for your input. Claudia

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate

First paragraph in wikipedia says that it is safe for those following gluten-free diet and has 4 sources to back it up.

Sponsored Links