May 10, 2024, 07:23:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Two homework questions.  (Read 5200 times)

Offline JQKingsley

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Two homework questions.
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
1. How many krypton (Kr) atoms would have to be lined up to span 1.0 mm?
answer = ______________atoms

2.If the atom is assumed to be a sphere, what is the volume in cm3 of a single krypton (Kr) atom?
answer = _____________cm^3

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: Two homework questions.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:17 AM »
Forum policy : You need to tell us what you make of the question and your attempts at solving it, if you hope to receive any help
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline JQKingsley

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 03:56:12 PM »
Forum policy : You need to tell us what you make of the question and your attempts at solving it, if you hope to receive any help

Well, considering I haven't taken a Chem class in four years and I stated on my other postings that I am completely lost. So, I would say what I get from the question is nothing. Other than being confused and not knowing how to solve it.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
Well, considering I haven't taken a Chem class in four years and I stated on my other postings that I am completely lost. So, I would say what I get from the question is nothing. Other than being confused and not knowing how to solve it.
Have you at least tried them yet? These problems actually have no chemistry in them. Take the second one. You want to know the volume of a Krypton atom assuming it's sphere. What's the volume of a sphere?

Offline Hagrid

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 11:40:09 AM »
1. Find out the atomic radius of krypton. Divide 1.0mm by that number     

2). Find the formula for a sphere based on the radius of a sphere. Apply the formula to the radius of a krypton atom (it's atomic radius).

I hope this helps

Sponsored Links