May 23, 2024, 10:52:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for a clear, sticky biodegradeable solution  (Read 4598 times)

Offline r

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Looking for a clear, sticky biodegradeable solution
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
Hi everyone!
 My friend and I are starting this new company. One of the ingredients we need to complete our product is a sticky biodegradable clear liquid. We are pouring this liquid onto small (types of rocks) and are sticking a course material to it. I know this sounds lame, but i cant give away the product at this point. We were trying to stick away from sugars, as this can lead to pests. Our product will be used outdoors. If you know any clear, sticky biodegradable liquids please post them! Thanks for your time!

-Calvin

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Looking for a clear, sticky biodegradeable solution
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Are you looking for something that will harden once you've attached your stuff to it, or do you want it to stay sticky? And should it start out being sticky as you spread it, or are you looking for something that will be liquid to spread and turn sticky as it dries? And how biodegradable? Do you want something that can be landfilled and will eventually decompose, or are you looking for something that will disappear in a season?

There are a number of natural waxes, resins, and gums that would fit your general descriptions, as well as many synthetic options that are biodegradable. I wouldn't even know where to start on suggestions without at least a little more information on the properties you are looking for, how you intend to apply it, or how durable you want it to be. What you are applying it to and what product you are attaching with it are probably immaterial for the initial considerations.

Offline r

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
Hi Fledarmus,
 Thanks for the response! The ideal solution i envision is a clear sticky liquid or a pasty solution. I would rather have something already sticky than just a liquid that dries sticky. I was planning on spreading the small rocks on huge trays, pouring the liquid over them and throwing the course material on top to dry. Therefore, the small rocks would only be partially covered with the course material. It would be nice to find a solution that hardens nicely on the small rocks. I was planning on trying many different mixtures so any suggestions will help.

Ideally I would like the biodegradeable solution to disappear in a season. As of right now, i am thinking of using corn syrup, or a pasty Glutenous rice mixture. I think a natural wax or resin would work best, do you have any ideas? Thanks a ton, have a good one!

-Calvin

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:03:45 PM »
Basically
you are looking for a glue that is biodegradable in a season.

Something like Elmer's Glue but more biodegradable.

Some sources say Elmer's Glue is biodegradable (more or less)

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
You might want to look at a casein glue. This is a milk protein that has been used for paint binders and for wood glues back into the middle ages. There are many recipes available, and some places that still sell it for restoration purposes.

Another possibility would be a rabbit hide or hoof glue.

Offline SEIZMICdesign

• Very New Member
Biodegradable Sticky Substance
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:59 AM »
Hey all you super-smart people! I am a designer and found this site doing research for a biodegradable stick substance. I actually ran across this thread, but decided to start a new topic after I saw the "at least 120 days" warning. And since what I need isn't exactly the same, here goes:

I am looking for a substance that is, of course, biodegradable/compostable and stays sticky for at least a few weeks, but a couple months would be nice. Forever would be cool, but not necessary. The color doesn't really matter, but I need for it to be applied through an industrial brush or spray system. I've been thinking there must be some kind of natural tree or plant sap or something, but a more chemically altered solution is probably more likely to be what I need/works best.

Any thoughts?

Sorry for the newb annoyance!

Powers

Online billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
@SEIZMICdesign
I was thinking of the glue they use on sticky notes, but I am not sure how biodegradable it is.
There are lots of stuff that is naturally sticky (like honey) if you think about it.
Lots of plant secretions are sticky.
Are you suggesting it stays sticky until it degrades?

Sponsored Links