May 15, 2024, 04:20:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium Carbonate titration  (Read 3886 times)

Offline HS2015

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium Carbonate titration
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »
I wanted to test a theory after a peculiar titration.

I was asked to titrate some Na2CO3.10H2O against HCl.

Even though I was asked to use a 50ml burette my titre ended up at 72.20 cm3

After some thought I checked the solutions and Na2CO3.10H2O was made to be 1M (286g in 1 litre) however after research into the solubility I don’t even think you could dissolve 286g of Na2CO3.10H2O in 1 litre at a room temperature of approx. 20oC.

I actually think this was intentional on the part of the examiners. The question spoke of an impurity and I believe they thought a saturated solution would ‘look the part’ with some undissolved Na2CO3.10H2O in the bottom.
However the temperature in my sun baked lab yesterday rose to 27/8oC and I think this is what lead to the rest of the Na2CO3.10H2O  dissolving and me requiring +70ml of HCl to neutralise rather than the approximate 25ml I expect the examiners were after.

Could someone concur or otherwise with my conclusion!

Things which may affect my conclusion include the HCO3- -> CO32- equilibrium in water which I do not know much about and also would it matter how fresh the solution was?

Any insights very welcome, thank you in advance!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +173/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Sodium Carbonate titration
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:28:56 AM »
The solubility of sodium carbonate dekahydrate is 217 g/l at 20 ° C. So 1 mol/l is not possible to dissolve.

Second question, which indicator or which pH  if using a pH-probe was used to get endpoint?

What was the molarity of HCl?

Offline HS2015

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 07:02:28 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

Indicator was methyl orange which certainly did not give me a sharp end point as I am used to from that indicator.

I wondered whether somehow the indicator had become less effective in over 100ml of liquid as opposed to around 50ml as is usual.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:28:19 AM »
End point detection when titrating carbonates is known to be tricky.

http://www.titrations.info/acid-base-titration-solution-standardization
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +173/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 07:33:21 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

Indicator was methyl orange which certainly did not give me a sharp end point as I am used to from that indicator.

I wondered whether somehow the indicator had become less effective in over 100ml of liquid as opposed to around 50ml as is usual.

Better is to use Phenolpthaleine and get end point at pH 8.2 first turning point of titration. Still hydrogen carbonate is there.

Methylorange  works at pH 4 what means a lot of carbon dioxide development takes place and disturbs the titration.

Offline HS2015

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:37:29 AM »
Yes I prefer phenophthalein for that very reason.

Unfortunately this was an exam board setting this question and they dictated the indicator. I was just getting my facts correct before I wrote them a strongly worded letter.

Thank you again.

So the larger quantity in the conical flask wouldn't make it harder/easier to find and end point?

Sponsored Links