May 15, 2024, 03:24:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Random errors of instruments  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Koala

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Random errors of instruments
« on: November 22, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
Does the use of pipette in measuring the volume of solution reduce the random error in an experiment as compared to using measuring cylinder( which has larger uncertainty than pipette)?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Random errors of instruments
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:06:51 AM »
Yes, see

http://www.titrations.info/pipette-burette

But remember that if you are using cylinder to add substances that just have to be in an excess, or in an approximate amount, it doesn't matter.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Koala

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 08:40:57 PM »
Does that mean that the tolerance of an instrument contributes to random error in an experiment? I read from some sources that tolerance of an instrument affects the precision of the experimental readings; and to reduce random errors, one needs to repeat the experiment several times to obtain average reading as the main approach rather than using instrument with smaller tolerance.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:25:22 AM »
Does that mean that the tolerance of an instrument contributes to random error in an experiment?

No, it contributes to systematic, not random. If you have a pipette that is nominally 10.0 but 10.1 in reality, your average volume would be 10.1±random error, and 10.1 would be systematically +0.1.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links