May 06, 2024, 01:58:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question About Laws  (Read 2934 times)

Offline il juche

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question About Laws
« on: January 26, 2007, 01:14:48 PM »
Hi everyone, I just registered here and have a question regarding the differences between two of Dalton's laws (if it's corrent to call them as such). I'm taking a General Chemistry I course at college. I'm having some difficulties udnerstanding the difference between two of these laws; the difference seems subtle, to say the very least.

So my question is: What is the difference betwee the Law of Definite Proportions and the Law of Multiple Proportions? Can someone dumb it down for me? I'm looking to really internalize the concept, because I can only imagine it's an important foundation for future material in chemistry, or it wouldn;t be a law they would mention within the first week of the semester.

From what I've gotten out of it is that the Law of Definite Proportions simply says the proportions between elements in a compound are fixed. The Law of Multiple Proportions is something I cannot seem to put into words, which is where I really need help. Thank you in advance everyone!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links