May 15, 2024, 11:00:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Health, safety and sodium amalgam  (Read 3212 times)

Offline chmjmhi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Health, safety and sodium amalgam
« on: September 24, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
I am about to use Na(Hg) for cleaving a biphenylamide (cf. Woodward's synthesis of erythromycin) and am concerned with the safety of setting up and disposing afterwards.

I have the MSDS, so I don't need that posted.

Any veterans in here that have any useful advice, please? My thoughts so far are to load up the vessel in a dry box, conduct the reaction under nitrogen and work up as normal and just send all waste solutions to the designated Hg waste.

Cheers.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Health, safety and sodium amalgam
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »
A quote from the Wiki page "Metallic sodium dissolves in mercury exothermically, i.e. with the release of heat, therefore, formation of sodium amalgam is famously dangerous for the generating sparks. The process causes localised boiling of the mercury and for this reason the formation is usually conducted in a fume hood and often performed using air-free techniques, such as synthesis under anhydrous liquid paraffin. Sodium amalgam may be prepared in the laboratory by dissolving sodium metal in mercury or the reverse. Sodium amalgams can be purchased from chemical supply houses."

So I don't know the scale you will be working on, I would be very careful with this.
Any spilled Hg sprinkle with sulfur powder sweep it us and bag it for disposal.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links