May 10, 2024, 11:58:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Enthalpy of a reaction  (Read 1777 times)

Offline Student99

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Enthalpy of a reaction
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:39:11 PM »
How many CaO and Water do I need to heat 10 grams of water from 25 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celcius?

Obs: Water must be heated indirectly by primary water outside of the beaker.

Taking 18 mL of water and 56 g of CaO:

CaO(s) + H2O(l) ---> Ca(OH)2(s)     Enthalpy ΔH= 64 KJ.mol^-1

Water: 1,0 cal/gºC
64 KJ/Mol = 15296 cal/Mol.  Ca(OH)2(s)=74g/Mol.  15296/74 = 206,7 cal/g. (Is it correct?)

206,7 cal/g=18 x 1,0 cal/gºC x ΔT
ΔT = 11,48 ºC

This is all I know until this moment. How can I determine the mass of CaO and water required?
Any Idea?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:01:28 PM by Student99 »

Offline magician4

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-11
Re: Enthalpy of a reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 01:26:16 PM »
this problem can't be solved with the data given, and for several reasons at this:

- you'd need to know the mass of the water you're dissolving the CaO in, as this water also needs heating

- for more precise measurement, you'd need the heat capacity of CaO (i.e. Ca(OH)2 )- solutions , both with respect to concentration and to the respective temperatures  (both functions are next to linear with small conc. / small temperature differences, if memory serves, but you'll need them anyway)

- the solubility of Ca(OH)2 being low, you'll need a certain minimum ratio of "water, inside" and "water, outside" (additionally, dependant on the temperature difference you wish to perform inside )

- you'll need the heat capacity of your apparatus

- an idea of solvation enthalpy of Ca(OH)2 would be nice, too, as you don't just "make" it, but dissolve it ( at least partially) , too

... and you must have made damned sure that next to no heat got lost ( better: know the heat loss of you apparatus with respect to temperature difference inside-outside, time, beforehand)

hence, with the data given, we can't help you

regards

Ingo
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
(Douglas Adams)

Sponsored Links