Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Electrodes for electrolysis

(1/4) > >>

Scratch-:
I have tried using graphite electrodes in electrolysis but they erode like every other metal does, even though I read in the posts of another website that they dont erode. I am wondering if gold electrodes will not erode, I have some gold but it is gold dust so I would need to melt it to make electrodes and I dont want to do all that unless I know that gold doesnt erode.

Thanks

Edit: edited title for better indexing. Mitch

Donaldson Tan:
Does the products of your electrolysis include oxygen? btw gold is among the most inert metal

Scratch-:
Yes, I am using water as a medium to break down salts, the problem with most electrodes is that they erode away and form metal hydroxides in the solution. Graphite doesnt form a hydroxide becouse its a nonmetal but it erodes anywase, limiting the amount of time before I have to replace an electrode.

Donaldson Tan:
Do u know that electrolysis of water occurs when u attempt to use water as medium? Anions in higher concentration are discharged preferentially.

In a dilute solution, OH- will be discharged to produce oxygen, unless u use a concentrated salt solution such as brine. The reaction is as follows:
4OH-(aq) => O2(g) + 2H2O(l) + 4e

Erosion of graphite electrodes follows this reaction:
C(s) + O2(g) => CO2(g)

;)

Scratch-:
Yes, that is why, for example, my electrolysis of NaCl produces sodium hydroxide and chlorine instead of sodium and chlorine. I don’t have the equipment to melt the salts and do electrolysis directly. I understand that the hydrogen and oxygen released into the solution play a part in eroding the electrodes. But I am just an amateur chemist awaiting my first year of high school chemistry (taken at a college, duel enrollment Wohoo  ;D), still I follow most of your equation there. So gold wolnt erode like graphite will, how will using a more concentrated solution prohibit the production of OH-?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version