May 17, 2024, 07:14:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: PIRACY at SEA  (Read 2367 times)

Offline gypsycaptn

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
PIRACY at SEA
« on: September 17, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
So, here we are, voyaging in the Caribbean aboard our sail boat, my girlfriend and I.
Enter the dreaded "PIRACY".
Imagine, if you will; While we are sailing, some guys try to come along side in a small fast boat (4 to 6 times faster than we are) brandishing long guns and machine guns. If they can get aboard, we are toast.
It's pretty much illegal to carry any weapon which might actually be effective at repelling boarders when traveling internationally; machine guns are out, as are rocket launchers, in fact, any military weapon is out!
I'm not kidding here folks; Americans are getting killed, injured and/or losing everything they own (for many of us our boat is our home and all we own is aboard). Please don't tell us to quit sailing; that's not going to happen. Please don't tell us to quit sailing in "those" areas; those areas could be anywhere these days.
I need a few sensible ideas how we can defend ourselves without carrying weapons that could put OUR freedom and boat in jeopardy from local law enforcement in countries we visit.
So why don't all you chemists step up and give us something we can toss into the bad guys' boat as they come alongside to immediately dissuade their continued aggression. Something safe to keep around (on a moving boat), easily made (purchased?) and not illegal? Remember, we only get one shot with this and their response would be quick and deadly if our defense doesn't work.
Thanks

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: PIRACY at SEA
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:47:04 PM »
So basically you're looking for a bomb that nobody searching your boat will recognize as a bomb. Wrong forum for that - please read the forum rules http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=33740.0

I feel your pain - it really sucks when the only people allowed to be armed are the pirates, and it is kind of nice living in a country where having a weapon to protect your home is constitutionally protected. When your home is a boat on the high seas, and you plan on entering countries where private ownership of any firearms is a worse crime than piracy, it gets tough.

There are frequent discussions of the use of flare guns and other methods of discouraging pirates on the yachting boards - that might be a better place to ask.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: PIRACY at SEA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:08 PM »
Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links