May 15, 2024, 12:09:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming Compounds  (Read 6893 times)

trickay

Naming Compounds
« on: October 02, 2005, 12:43:13 PM »
Hello,

I'm having huge problems with naming compounds. I know with two elements you put the metal's name first then the second element's name ends in "ide" etc.

However, I don't know when or when not to use the Stock number system (roman numerals). I also don't know when to end the name with "ite" or "ate."

Can somebody please explain or link me to a site with a detailed explination?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Naming Compounds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »
However, I don't know when or when not to use the Stock number system (roman numerals). I also don't know when to end the name with "ite" or "ate."

Generally speaking ate/ite nomenclature is outdated, so you may safely assume you don't have to use it ever. However, it is worth to know what it means as it is still present in many places.

Google "naming chemical compounds" or "chemical compound nomenclature" or something like that.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

trickay

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005, 05:29:19 PM »
Generally speaking ate/ite nomenclature is outdated, so you may safely assume you don't have to use it ever. However, it is worth to know what it means as it is still present in many places.

Google "naming chemical compounds" or "chemical compound nomenclature" or something like that.

Thanks for the help.

But, I already have searched google and shortly after posting my original post, I realized we use the stock system only when metal or metalloids and non-metals react, and when the metal or metalloid has two or more oxidation numbers. Now the problem is I do not know what an oxidation number is an how to calculate it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »
Did I misunderstand the point you were making Borek?  Were you referring to -ic and -ous, like cupric/ferous?

Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to -ic/-ous. There was some short circuit in the interface between my Polish and English nomenclature :(
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

trickay

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005, 07:49:14 PM »
Let me provide you guys with an example:

FeCO3

I have no clue whether to put Iron (II) Carbonate or Iron (III) Carbonate.

Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005, 08:06:33 PM »
FeCO3

I have no clue whether to put Iron (II) Carbonate or Iron (III) Carbonate.

Some things you just have to memorize. CO32- - so Fe2+.

In case of compound with formula Fe2(CO3)3  it will be Fe3+.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 08:28:16 AM »
A good way to distinguish between '-ite' and '-ate' is that the species with MORE oxygen atoms is '-ate'.  (Because it 'ate' all of the oxygen and now has more.  I know, that's REALLY cheesy, but it works.)

So NaNO2 is nitrite.
NaNO3 is nitrate.

MgSO3 is sulfite and MgSO4 is sulfate.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

trickay

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 05:49:41 PM »
Hey,

Thanks for everybodys help it really helped!

However now

Do you got any tips for writing the chemical formula given the name. Basically, the backwards of what you guys have been helping me with.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links