May 15, 2024, 11:06:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Photochemistry of decomposition of K3Fe(C204)3 complex  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Sadsura

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Photochemistry of decomposition of K3Fe(C204)3 complex
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
Hi i recently completed a lab experiment of decomposing the above product by dissolving in water and and a small amount 2M Sulphuric acid. it was then transferred into 2 test tubes.
the first tube was exposed to a 200W lamp for only 1 minute and the other for 10 minutes.afterwards few drops of K3Fe(CN)6 was added to each. results were
both clear light yellow solutions turned greenish blue for the first tube and the second was a more intense darkblue.

my question is, may i assume that the 200W lamp provided U.V radiation? the packets of energy (hv or h*frequency) was responsible for knocking out which electrons from which atom?

since Fe3+ decomposed to Fe2+, -electron is gained. i understand that 3 oxalate(bidentate) ions complexed with Fe 3+. did Fe3+  interact with packets of energy directly? or the bidentate ligands interacted with packets of light only instead or both Fe3+ and ligand?

may i humbly ask for an explanation of this photochemical decomposition. no need for maths but physics included in the answer is fine. from my perception,the complex formed forms a new energy variation whereby light absorbed breaks down smth in the complex. but its too general.

Sponsored Links