May 05, 2024, 11:42:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Radioisotopes, Nobel Gas Compounds and Ionic Bonding of Hydrogen?  (Read 3124 times)

Offline X-RAY

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all,

I've got 3 questions to ask. Sorry if some of them seem obvious or even stupid (especially the third question) but I have not done any of these subjects in class. I'm just curious as to the answers.

1) If, as far as I understand from a bit of research on Google, the main purpose of neutrons is to support the nucleus of an atom. How can a subatomic particle that does not affect the size of a reaction (electrons) or the element itself (proton) form an isotope that becomes so unstable that it is radioactive?

2) How are noble gas compounds formed in a laboratory?

3) If a Hydrogen atom only has 1 electron, what prevents it from losing it by giving it up in an ionic bond? If this were somehow possible, what would be the effect of having no electrons surrounding an atom?

Thanks, I hope you can answer my questions.

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re: Radioisotopes, Nobel Gas Compounds and Ionic Bonding of Hydrogen?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »
1) If, as far as I understand from a bit of research on Google, the main purpose of neutrons is to support the nucleus of an atom. How can a subatomic particle that does not affect the size of a reaction (electrons) or the element itself (proton) form an isotope that becomes so unstable that it is radioactive?

Protons are all positively charged.  If a nucleus were made up of several particles of the same charge, what might make it hard to keep together?

3) If a Hydrogen atom only has 1 electron, what prevents it from losing it by giving it up in an ionic bond? If this were somehow possible, what would be the effect of having no electrons surrounding an atom?

There's not really a distinct difference between ionic and covalent bonds the way you're taught in high school.  Whether a compound is considered ionic or not is dependent on the elements' comparitive electronegativity (tendancy to draw electrons towards itself in a bond.  I'd advise using a different source for a better definition  ;)).  The hydrogen ion is too electronegative to exist on its own in most situations, so it envelopes itself in the electron cloud of the other ion, making it a covalent bond.

Perhaps a bit vague, but I hope that clears it up.  Don't be afraid to ask questions about my answers.
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Sponsored Links