May 12, 2024, 12:54:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Specific gravity of oils  (Read 3445 times)

Offline studensity

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Specific gravity of oils
« on: December 29, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

I came across a product recently and was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into how this layering of oils was performed.  The oil is a haircare product and there are three distinct layers:  the bottom of the bottle is red, the middle is clear, and the top is yellow.  How do the colors not diffuse into one another?  If you shake the bottle to mix and leave it on the shelf for a bit, the layers settle back to their original state.  Thanks!!

Here's a list of the ingredients:
DIMETHICONE , SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL , BUTYLENE GLYCOL , PROPANEDIOL , GLYCERIN , WATER\AQUA\EAU , RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL , ELAEIS OLEIFERA (PALM) KERNEL OIL , CITRULLUS LANATUS (WATERMELON) SEED OIL , COMMIPHORA WILDII OIL , XIMENIA AMERICANA SEED OIL , SUCROSE , ORBIGNYA OLEIFERA (BABASSU) SEED OIL , VETIVERIA ZIZANOIDES ROOT OIL , ALEURITES MOLUCCANA (KUKUI) SEED OIL , COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL , CITRUS MEDICA LIMONUM (LEMON) PEEL OIL , CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (ORANGE) OIL , CITRUS AURANTIUM BERGAMIA (BERGAMOT) FRUIT OIL , SCLEROCARYA BIRREA SEED OIL , DIPTERYX ODORATA SEED EXTRACT , GARDENIA TAHITENSIS (TIARE) FLOWER EXTRACT , THEOBROMA CACAO (COCOA) SEED BUTTER , MALTOL , PANTETHINE , PANTHENOL , SODIUM CHLORIDE , SACCHARIDE ISOMERATE , POLYQUATERNIUM-55 , PHYTANTRIOL , PANTHENYL ETHYL ETHER , JASMINUM OFFICINALE (JASMINE) FLOWER WAX , ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE , VANILLIN , LINALOOL , LIMONENE , BENZYL ALCOHOL , BENZALDEHYDE , RED 40 (CI 16035) <ILN39188>

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Specific gravity of oils
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 10:31:15 PM »
Possibly one or more of the components simply are that color, and if they are immiscible, they will simply separate out over time.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: Specific gravity of oils
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
I think the trick is using dimethicone. This is a polysilane with some unusual properties. Rather than the typical water/oil layers that you would expect, I believe you are getting a third layer of dimethicone that isn't soluble in either of the other two.

Sponsored Links