Specialty Chemistry Forums > Materials and Nanochemistry forum

Yttrium Iron Garnet Synthesis from their Respective Oxides

(1/2) > >>

Mitch:
I have to propose a solid state reaction to make Y3Fe5O12

I have suggested: Y2O3 + Fe2O3 -> Y3Fe5O12

I think that is impossible to balance, so would this be a probable chemical reaction equation:
3Y2O3 + 5Fe2O3 -> 2Y3Fe5O12 + 12O2

Actually, how is it commonly synthesized? I can only find modern sol-gel papers like this one: Influence of Complexing Agents and pH on Yttrium-Iron Carnet Synthesized by the Sol-Gel method

Arkcon:
Incredible synthesis procedure you've found Mitch, I would have assumed garnet, whether gem-quality or YAG laser material, was made in a furnace out of a slow mix of Aluminum and other oxides.

Mitch:
I believe the most effective synthesis for large YAG crystals is still the normal solid state reactions. But, sol-gel methodologies have been all the rage for the past 10-15 years for all things small and crystalline.

Arkcon:
I always enjoyed reading Crystal Growth in Gel Media by Heinz K. Henisch, that was a great book.  I remember when I had the boss order for me a U-tube.  I showed him the book and what I wanted to do -- I so wanted to grow calcite crystals in an agar gel (never did get that to work).  He said if I could reliably produce 1 mm clear calcite crystals, I'd have a moneymaking machine.  I only wish I could read or download the reference you cited.  :'(

Mitch:
I've added you to the Chemist membergroup, it places beakers under your name and grants access to the hidden chemists only forum. You'll find a treat there for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version