May 18, 2024, 12:13:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxidation Numbers  (Read 12451 times)

Offline loganro

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxidation Numbers
« on: October 17, 2007, 05:11:34 PM »
I am having trouble understanding what oxidation numbers to give to certain things.  For example, HPO3 is a problem that I have (I know that the answer is +5) ,and I can't seem to understand why that is the answer.  H3PO2 oxidation number is +1.   The question is asking to indicate the oxidation number of phosphourus.  Why does the oxidation number change? How do you know when to change it? I have looked on the "List of Oxidation Rules," but I can't seem to understand it.  The way I understand the list, "P" would get the same oxidation number with all elements.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
Re: Oxidation Numbers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:35:34 PM »
In general inorganic compounds oxygen has a oxidation state of -2 and hydrogen +1 (unless you have a hydride -1).  In your case phosphorous changes oxidation state.  Calculate the charge without the phosphorous and then balance it.  This number is your oxidation state.  For example, HPO3 3 Oxygen (3*-2) = -6 and 1 Hydrogen (+1) -6+1=-5 so phosphorous is +5.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline loganro

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:58:45 PM »
Thanks for the help.  IF7;  I'm pretty sure that the oxidation number for F7 is is -7, but the problem is wanting to know the oxidation number for I.  Would the oxidation number for I be +6?

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:56:25 PM »
The oxidation number for F- is (-1) and there are seven. So IF7 has oxidation of __ for I to balance __?  When you first start learning oxidation states don't second guess yourself, you are usually correct.  Remember to always balance a neutral molecule and in general H(+1), O(-2) and halogens in there normal OS (-1).  Don't be afraid to assign high oxidation states.  Think about HClO4...the chlorine has the same oxidation state as I in IF7;D
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links