May 19, 2024, 06:02:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Titration  (Read 644 times)

Offline i_am_frustrated

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Titration
« on: May 06, 2024, 03:20:52 PM »
I have already posted a similar question, I just wanted to make sure because it's definitely going to be on my exam.
It is also about titration curve explaining (titrant pEDTA vs vEDTA): ''Slope: A higher EDTA concentration makes the titration curve steeper around the endpoint, as each addition of titrant results in a significant change in the fraction of complexed ions. This helps with a clearer and more distinct endpoint.
-Gradual change: At lower EDTA concentration, the curve becomes less steep and the end point becomes wider and less distinct, which can complicate the determination of the end point.'' Does this sound correct? Not sure if I could say this for the equivalence point.. Thank you for any help, I appreciate it very much!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Titration
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 03:37:18 AM »
These statements are in general correct, but they are actually about the curve around the equivalence point.

We choose the end point detection method so that it is very close to the equivalence point, so it is always on the steep part of the curve as well.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline i_am_frustrated

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 09:38:43 AM »
Thank you very much for replying! I replaced ''end point'' with equivalence point. If I mention what you just said about the end point, would that make my answer okay?
I have also mentioned this: -Initial concentration:
Higher concentration: Using a more concentrated EDTA solution will result in a faster approach to the equivalence point, as less volume of titrant is needed to complex with the same amount of calcium ions.
-Lower concentration: A lower EDTA concentration will require a larger volume to reach the equivalence point, extending the length of the titration and shifting the equivalence (I had written end point initially but changed it) further to the right of the curve.
About the equivalence point, wasn't sure how to mention end point so I don't write that too many words... Thank you again!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:03:56 AM by i_am_frustrated »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 03:04:25 PM »
Worth to remember high titrant concentration means better detection of the endpoint, but worse accuracy (error reading burette for lower titrant volume means higher percent error).

Matter of finding a sweet spot, with good endpoint detection, but titrant volume around 80% of the burette volume.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline i_am_frustrated

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 02:16:26 PM »
Ah I am so thankful for your replies. Really appreciate it

Sponsored Links