May 07, 2024, 03:25:05 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Potassium Iodide USP + Aloe Vera Gel?  (Read 5935 times)

senglund

Potassium Iodide USP + Aloe Vera Gel?
« on: October 12, 2005, 04:21:58 PM »
I'm wondering what the result would be if I added potassium iodide usp crystals (PO200, just under 100 g) to 1/12 cups 99% pure organic aloe vera gel (ingredients: certified organic aloe vera gel, carbomer 940, vitamine A, C, and E)?  I've already done this - I thought that to make a saturated solution you kept adding crystals to the gel until they stopped dissolving. (Obviously, I am not a chemist). Anyway, I added all I had.  Plan was to use it as a topical treatment on the skin.  It dissolved very oddly, turning the gel more liquid.  Now I'm worried that there may be some sort of chemical reaction I hadn't anticipated.  Strength is obviously  a concern.
Should I be worried, would this be safe to use on the skin, should I throw it all out? Can I dilute it to make it safe?  Hope you can help.  Thanks
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 04:23:57 PM by senglund »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Potassium Iodide USP + Aloe Vera Gel?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:41:16 PM »
Are you following a procedure that you read or someone told you?

Are you adding the crystals directly to the lotion/gel.

Making a saturated solution usually involves adding crystals until no more will dissolve. Are you supposed to make a saturated solution in water first then add it to the gel?

Maybe the ionic properties of the KI are interferring with the emulsion properties of the gel.

You can check the MSDS for KI on the net for the safety factors. To be safe it would be best to consult a doctor or dermatologist as it is probably not wise to  rely purely on the word of people on this forum if it safe to use on your skin.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links