May 10, 2024, 07:29:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distinguishing between 2 organic compound(phenol functional grp)  (Read 3588 times)

Offline OhMyGod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0

Hi dudes. Have already got an answer on my mind, but aint too sure.
Just wana ask whether the straight addition of Aqueous Bromine to yield 2,4,6-tribromophenol(white ppt.)
can be used to identify Compound Y as you can see the theres abit of complications there at the 2,3 position. Do i need break up the hexangonal ring on the right of each compound(by heating with hot acidfied KMnO4) to break up the ring, then applying aq. Br2 to yield the white ppt in compound Y.

The confusion right now is whether or not the formation of 2,4,6-tribromophenol white ppt. will occur if one or more of the 2,4,6 position is occupied. (for eg. will C7H7OH(phenol with CH3 at position 2) + Br2 --> 2,4,6-dibromophenyl ??)

Thanks mate in advance!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 01:49:39 PM by OhMyGod »

Offline kremar

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Distinguishing between 2 organic compound(phenol functional grp)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:01:22 PM »
the addition of bromine occurrs via a electrophillic aromatic sustitution reaction.
in that fused ring system, the -OH group will direct the addition, and the result should be the 2,4-dibromo derivate, if we assume there'll be no interaction from the second ring.

but if what you want is to distinguish between two pure samples of those two compounds, see which one dissolves in a dilute NaOH solution...

Offline OhMyGod

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Distinguishing between 2 organic compound(phenol functional grp)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »
thanks i get it now!

Sponsored Links