Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ATP  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Imo

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
ATP
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
I have to relate the breakdown of ATP in ADP + P to this figure

{MOD Edit -- Remove image link}

How can i do this? Charges differents are in equilibrium?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 09:12:11 AM by Arkcon »

Offline ramboacid

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • USNCO High Honors 2012, 2013
Re: ATP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:39:11 PM »
Well, it looks to me that the magnesium cation stabilizes the charges on the phosphate groups. Since ATP releases energy by releasing a phosphate group, if the magnesium makes it less likely to decompose by stabilizing the phosphate groups, then I'd imagine that the presence of magnesium would shift the dissociation equilibrium to the left in the reaction ATP  :rarrow: ADP + Pi.

However, I am not a biochemist, so it would be prudent to get a second opinion on this topic.  :)
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +324/-23
Re: ATP
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »
My recollection is that Mg(II) binds to ATP more strongly than it binds to ADP; therefore it makes deltaGĀ°'  for hydrolysis slightly less negative than it would be in the absence of Mg(II).  My recollection is that Mg(II) is not strongly catalytic with respect to the rate of nonenzymatic hydrolysis.  It does shift the pKa value of (H)ATP3-.  However, most enzymes that catalyze phosphoryl group transfer use Mg(II), occasionally along with another metal ion, such as Zn(II) in alkaline phosphatase.

Sponsored Links