May 15, 2024, 04:42:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Oxygen production  (Read 6499 times)

Offline HeadsUp

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Oxygen production
« on: June 13, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »

I am looking for the cheapest way to produce breathable oxygen when atmospheric air might contain varying degrees of sulfur , flourine , Carbon Dioxide or carbon monoxide.

There are many mains powered systems for home use which separate oxygen from air up to a purity of 80 - 90 % , these machines cost $ 1500 - $ 3000 each but if the atmosphere is polluted then they will fail.

What can cheaply produce breathable oxygen to allow survival at a rate of 5 - 10 litres per minute for extended periods , ( like for a month = 200,000 litres )

thanks for advice people

Offline HeadsUp

Re: Oxygen production
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
from wikipedia

Commercial aircraft provide emergency oxygen to passengers ..

The oxidizer core is sodium chlorate (NaClO3), which is mixed with less than 5 percent barium peroxide (BaO2) and less than 1 percent potassium perchlorate (KClO4). The explosives in the percussion cap are a lead styphnate and tetrazene mixture. The chemical reaction is exothermic and the exterior temperature of the canister will reach 260 °C (500 °F). It will produce oxygen for 15 to 20 minutes.

A chlorate candle, or an oxygen candle, is a cylindrical chemical oxygen generator containing a mix of sodium chlorate and iron powder. When ignited, the mixture smolders at about , producing sodium chloride, iron oxide, and about 6.5 man-hours of oxygen per kilogram of the mixture. It releases oxygen at a fixed rate. The mixture has an indefinite shelf life if stored properly; candles stored for 20 years have shown no decrease in oxygen output.

Oxygen candles sound attractive can last 60 - 100 man hours but they are $ 750 each

Is there a cheaper way to create emergency oxygen reserves  ??

Offline HeadsUp

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »

no replies here... ?

but i found a youtube video by some 14 year old kids making oxygen from hydrogen peroxide and manganese dioxide , does anyone know the quantities of both required to produce quantifiable amounts of oxygen  ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=camJi4XpC3s

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
If you can't compute that by yourself, then you shouldn't build a life-sustain device, hence I won't help you.
I sincerely regret my impolite answer and apologize for it.

Sponsored Links