May 15, 2024, 01:11:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mathematical reason behind natural log in equations?  (Read 3257 times)

Offline amk0713

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Mathematical reason behind natural log in equations?
« on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:21 PM »
Hi there. I'm just hoping to get a bit of clarification on this, as I learn best when I understand why a math equation is, rather than simply what happens.

What is the mathematical purpose behind ln when applied to chemical equations? For example, the equation for standard free energy as it relates to K:  :delta: Go=-RTlnK. I understand that the result of lnx can be taken as the rate of growth to reach x, but how does this apply to that equation?

Thank you. :)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Mathematical reason behind natural log in equations?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:16 AM »
So, the question is, why does the function, described by the equation, increase logarithmically?  As opposed to, I would guess, linearly, or parabolically, or by some higher order polynomial?  Well, that's just kinda how it works, doesn't it?  Consider, instead of a purely chemical process, instead a biological process -- simple cells, yeast or bacteria, grow logarithmically, at least until they deplete their environment.  Why?  Because the same growth, applies to each daughter cell, and the parent cell, so the simple addition just expodes -- well, logarithmically.  ;D  I'm guessing, logrithmic propagation in the natural world, made it interesting, and mathematical theory was created around it, and then applied to phenomena that can be modeled by such a function.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline aldoxime_amine

• Mole Snacks: +7/-4
Re: Mathematical reason behind natural log in equations?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »
Practical examples of exponential growth or decay are R-C,R-L charge,discharge, all first order reactions, velocity of a falling rain drop etc

Exponential behavior is very easy to understand "practically". For example, in case of the falling rain drop, the faster it falls, the more does the wind oppose its motion, so that when a stage is reached when the opposition equals its weight, there is no acceleration, no more increase in opposition, resulting in achievement of terminal velocity.

Sponsored Links