May 21, 2024, 06:16:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can hydrazine be reduced?  (Read 3613 times)

Offline chiddler

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Can hydrazine be reduced?
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »
How stable is the N-N bond in hydrazine? Does the stability of this bond have anything to do with its high reactivity?

My book says that hydrazine cannot be reduced to form an amine and i'm trying to understand why.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Can hydrazine be reduced?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
A touchy-feely qualitative explanation without getting into too much p-chem is that the N=N triple bond is as close as makes no difference to the most stable bond in nature, and anything which gets it closer to that stability is generally very favorable. Processes which go in the opposite direction are usually less favorable.
Individual results may vary

Offline chiddler

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
the N=N triple bond is as close as makes no difference to the most stable bond in nature, and anything which gets it closer to that stability is generally very favorable. Processes which go in the opposite direction are usually less favorable.

Thanks very much for your response.

Can you please explain what you mean? I'm not understanding very well.

Offline Yakimikku

• Mole Snacks: +8/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
My book says that hydrazine cannot be reduced to form an amine and i'm trying to understand why.

Chiddler, unfortunately your book is wrong. Reduction of hydrazine to ammonia is known. I don't want to take away the lesson that your book may be trying to teach however. What was that particular section of your book about?

Offline chiddler

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »

Chiddler, unfortunately your book is wrong. Reduction of hydrazine to ammonia is known. I don't want to take away the lesson that your book may be trying to teach however. What was that particular section of your book about?

Oh no! I was looking over the question again and I didn't realize that it said "alkyl hydrazine"! I don't think that changes anything, does it?

Which of the following cannot be reduced to form an amine?
A. An amide
B. An imine
C. a nitro compound
D. an alkyl hydrazine

Perhaps the implication is that the C-N bond cannot be reduced.

Sponsored Links