May 04, 2024, 10:13:08 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What happens to Nylon 6 after crosslinking occurs?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Paulo540

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What happens to Nylon 6 after crosslinking occurs?
« on: April 13, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
Hello all,

I am not a chemist or a student for that matter, you could say I'm an enthusiast, lol. Anyways, I work in product development and could use some guidance with a current project.

Project: to determine cause(s) of drastic pressure rise and internal corrosion in small capsule with the application of Time and Heat.

After a lot of research and controlled experiments, I have reduced it to the glass filled nylon parts outgassing inside the capsule. From what I have read and experienced, nylon will start to thermally degrade at high temperatures (150C +)  causing the release of several compounds, CO2, CO, H2O, and most concerning... NH3.  Nylon can only absorb so much water, and for a capsule to go from 30 psi to 105 overnight @ 150C is rather startling. Especially when the empty control capsules reach a max of 50psi. We have actually had some bow the bottom and burst open at the top at 175C.

So, to get to the heart of the matter... I have established some pre-bakeout procedures that have helped with the issue but It is hard to say what happens over the loooong term as well as the impact it has on performance.

Here's the actual question: What happens to the plastic once it is outgassed to a point of equilibrium? I assume that if what makes the plastic do what it does is partially removed, then something has to give, right?

I truly do appreciate any help and if I rambled on too much or am too obtuse, I sincerely apoligize.

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links