May 18, 2024, 07:23:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electrolytic Cell  (Read 532 times)

Offline serotonin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Electrolytic Cell
« on: May 05, 2024, 02:48:06 PM »
With the passage of time and the progress of the reaction, does the value of the potential of the element (Ecell) increase or decrease? When will the specific electrolytic cell stop working? Explain qualitatively.
(Given: Faraday constant, NA (Avogadro), R constant)

''With time, the concentration of the electrolyte solution change. Hence, their electrode potentials change. When the electrode potentials of the two half − cells become equal, the cell stops working.'' Is this correct? Any thoughts? Should I also use an equation? I'm not sure what else to add. Thank you for any help

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Electrolytic Cell
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 04:09:05 PM »
Mentioning Nernst equation in the context of cell potential questions never hurts, even if it is just about qualitative ideas.

However

When the electrode potentials of the two half − cells become equal, the cell stops working.

sounds more like a galvanic cell. In electrolysis reaction stops when the potential forced on the cell is too low (which means high difference between half cells, they can't be equal).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline serotonin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Electrolytic Cell
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 05:17:45 PM »
Thank you very much! :)
I've thought of using Ecell=Eocell-RT/nFlnQ but not sure how I would prove what it's asking.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links