May 11, 2024, 06:38:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Freezing Point Depression and Ka Lab  (Read 3825 times)

Offline kfletcher7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Freezing Point Depression and Ka Lab
« on: March 06, 2013, 09:22:56 PM »
We have to create our own lab write up and experimentally determine the Ka or Kb factor of an unknown solution using three different methods. One of the ways is by freezing point depression. Can someone please explain how you could find the percent ionization using freezing point depression??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:36:35 PM by kfletcher7 »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Freezing Point Depression and Ka Lab
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
PK, lets start with what you know (or can find in your textbook) on how something dissolved in a liquid depresses the freezing point.  Look for a formula, and see what that formula depends on.  Then come up with a way to relate that to Ka of the solute in the liquid.  That's the whole assignment, right?  You have to come up with the method yourself, according to your description of the assignment.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline kfletcher7

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Freezing Point Depression and Ka Lab
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »
Okay so I get that ΔT=iKfm and I know how to use the freezing point depression to find i and the molality. Then my book gives me the the equation m(effective)=i*m(stated concentration). So if the original concentration is .1 m we can times by the i we found and get the effective m which says it is the sum of the molalities of HA, H+ and A- but i don't know how to take that m(effective) and put it in an ICE table or something to find the Ka value.

Sponsored Links