May 07, 2024, 05:22:18 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of 3,5 dimethyl-2-cyclohexene-1-one  (Read 6294 times)

Isaac

Synthesis of 3,5 dimethyl-2-cyclohexene-1-one
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:28:12 PM »
How would you synthesize 3,5 dimethyl-2-cyclohexene-1-one using 2-butanone and 3-buten-2-one as the starting material?

I did try using Mander's reagent and have also condsidered Micheal addition, but so far I'm still stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Synthesis of 3,5 dimethyl-2-cyclohexene-1-one
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 08:20:53 PM »
There is a name reaction that can do this is one step (kind of).

You're on the right track, I think.  What would have to happen subsequent to a Michael addition?

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 12:02:27 AM »
ok, this is what I'm doing, I'm adding LDA to 2-butanone, and then adding Mander's reagent to it. Then I'm adding LDA to 3-buten-2-one, and adding this to methyl 3-oxopentanoate ( which is made by 2-butanone and the mander's reagent). This should then cyclized to 3,5 dimethyl-2-cyclohexene-1-one. This does not seem to work, and I'm running out of ideas to tackle this.

I did not know that you could do this reaction in a single step. How would I go about doing it in a single step? ( I need some sort of stepping stone). Waiting for replies.    

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 01:07:14 PM »
Oops, I think I made a mistake.  It's not supposed to be 3,6-dimethyl?  It just seems too easy for this one name reaction.  The 3,5 isomer is going to be a lot more difficult.  I can't imagine there will be that much use of Mander's reagent in this problem.

Sponsored Links