May 15, 2024, 06:14:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Fill in missing reagents cyano to carbonyl  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Elphabalives

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Fill in missing reagents cyano to carbonyl
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »
We've been given this reaction, and told to fill in the missing reagents. I've worked through a possible mechanism to help myself understand, but i need to know if i'm doing anything blatantly wrong. First, the given....
>

So getting from the cyano to a NH2C=O is easy.
Protonate the N
water comes in, and is then deprotonated
>
Nitrogen is then protonated again

Water then comes in and attacks the carbon, pushing the pi electrons to N, and that water is deprotonated
>

Now we have a geminal diol, which can go to a carbonyl with the loss of H2O

This is where i get stuck. I'm not sure how to get from this molecule to the product. Perhaps protonating the Oxygen, making the C have a positive charge, then having LiCH2CH3 (metal plus, whatever it's attached to minus) add the CH2CH3

Then maybe the unshared electrons on Nitrogen re-form the double bond to carbon, making the OH leave? Gives me this...

Which could then become the product.
 Is this plausible? Did i violate some horrible rule i didn't think of? The reagents being H30+ and LiCH2CH3?

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: Fill in missing reagents cyano to carbonyl
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:56:15 AM »
I don't have time to carefully go over it atm, but just a quick note, a bronsted lowry acid likely won't work in this scenario. If you add a proton to your carbonyl, then add an organometallic reagent, it'll like just grab that proton instead of undergoing nucleophilic attack.

I'm no expert (I've never taken Organic so take what I say lightly), but I think organolithium reagents are as basic as they are nucleophilic.

Perhaps a lewis acid?

You seem to have done a lot of steps. Could just convert the nitrile to a carboxylic acid, then to a acyl chloride and lastly add a grignard?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:07:49 AM by Jorriss »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:50:18 AM »
We've been given this reaction, and told to fill in the missing reagents. I've worked through a possible mechanism to help myself understand, but i need to know if i'm doing anything blatantly wrong. First, the given....
>

So getting from the cyano to a NH2C=O is easy.
Protonate the N
water comes in, and is then deprotonated
>
Nitrogen is then protonated again

Water then comes in and attacks the carbon, pushing the pi electrons to N, and that water is deprotonated
>

Now we have a geminal diol, which can go to a carbonyl with the loss of H2O

This is where i get stuck. I'm not sure how to get from this molecule to the product. Perhaps protonating the Oxygen, making the C have a positive charge, then having LiCH2CH3 (metal plus, whatever it's attached to minus) add the CH2CH3

Then maybe the unshared electrons on Nitrogen re-form the double bond to carbon, making the OH leave? Gives me this...

Which could then become the product.
 Is this plausible? Did i violate some horrible rule i didn't think of? The reagents being H30+ and LiCH2CH3?

Hydrolyse the nitrile to the carboxylic acid, make the Weinreb amide and treat with ethyl Grignard
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline cundi

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 09:15:57 AM »
Please see Grignard reaction.

Addition of EtMgX, then hydrolisis affords targeted compound!

Sponsored Links