May 11, 2024, 09:35:11 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Equilibrium  (Read 4100 times)

Offline typeflex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Chemical Equilibrium
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:40:27 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm working on some basic chemical equilibrium questions that I understand for the most part, but it would help to get other input from you all to make sure my understanding is correct.

What could change the equilibrium condition of a crowded nightclub with a waiting line to equilibrium?

Why are catalysts used in almost every chemical equilibrium equation?

What are chemical equilibrium reactions found in everyday life and what factors affect them?

HbO2 + H+  :resonance: HbH+ + O2

Assuming there is partial pressure for oxygen LeChatelier's Principle applied. What occurs to the amount of oxygen delivered when body temperature decreases during hypothermia, and what could be done to make sureplenty of oxygen is delivered?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Offline typeflex

Re: Chemical Equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 03:37:32 AM »
Tomorrow I will post my responses per forum rules.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 03:49:38 AM »
OK, we will wait with helping till you follow the rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline typeflex

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
What could change the equilibrium condition of a crowded nightclub with a waiting line to equilibrium?

People Outside Nightclub ::equil:: People Inside Nightclub

• People leaving the nightclub allowing for people waiting in line to enter
  • An event occurring such as a fight that causes people to leave, and the club offering $1 drinks enticing people to enter

Why are catalysts used in almost every industrial chemical equilibrium reaction?

My interpretation is that catalysts are used not only as cost effective methods of speeding up chemical processes, but also as well methods for improving safety and environmental friendly reactions.

What are chemical equilibrium reactions found in everyday life and what factors affect them?

• Checkout Line at Supermarket:
    Time of day, seasons, and experience of personnel at supermarket affect the checkout line at the supermarket.
  • Hemoglobin:
    Altitude and conditioning affect the transport of oxygen in hemoglobin.

Assuming there is partial pressure for oxygen LeChatelier's Principle applied. What occurs to the amount of oxygen delivered when body temperature decreases during hypothermia, and what could be done to make sure plenty of oxygen is delivered?

I know that a decrease in temperature favors an exothermic reaction, and that a decrease in temperature causes a leftward shift in equilibrium. I'm just unsure on how to piece this together and apply it to the problem.

I've also read that an increase in body temperature would weaken the bond between oxygen and blood. Does this happen if there is an increase past normal body temperature only, or would it affect the bond at any temperature (rapid increase in temperature)?

Offline typeflex

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
*delete me* SOS!

Posted what I think and what I've read above.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »

People Outside Nightclub ::equil:: People Inside Nightclub

• People leaving the nightclub allowing for people waiting in line to enter
  • An event occurring such as a fight that causes people to leave, and the club offering $1 drinks enticing people to enter

Sounds reasonable.

Why are catalysts used in almost every industrial chemical equilibrium reaction?

My interpretation is that catalysts are used not only as cost effective methods of speeding up chemical processes, but also as well methods for improving safety and environmental friendly reactions.

They also increase specifity of the process, increasing yield of the wanted product (and diminishing amount of unwanted side products).

Checkout Line at Supermarket:
Time of day, seasons, and experience of personnel at supermarket affect the checkout line at the supermarket.

This is not a chemical process. It just can be described by a similar math model.

Assuming there is partial pressure for oxygen LeChatelier's Principle applied. What occurs to the amount of oxygen delivered when body temperature decreases during hypothermia, and what could be done to make sure plenty of oxygen is delivered?

I know that a decrease in temperature favors an exothermic reaction, and that a decrease in temperature causes a leftward shift in equilibrium. I'm just unsure on how to piece this together and apply it to the problem.

I've also read that an increase in body temperature would weaken the bond between oxygen and blood. Does this happen if there is an increase past normal body temperature only, or would it affect the bond at any temperature (rapid increase in temperature)?

I am not convinced there is enough data to answer. That is, you can always wave your hands and pretend to be answering, but it is not the same.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline typeflex

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:23:01 PM »

I am not convinced there is enough data to answer. That is, you can always wave your hands and pretend to be answering, but it is not the same.

You're right sir. Let re read the problem and try to go more in depth into solving it.

I really appreciate your responses sir.

Offline typeflex

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »

Ok so I think I figured this out.

HEAT + HbO2 + H+  :resonance: HbH+ + O2

I over read that the reaction was endothermic.

Due to hypothermia there is loss of heat causing a leftward movement in equilibrium.

In order to reach oxygen there needs to be a rightward movement. In order for there to be a rightward movement heat would need to be increased by warming one's self with additional clothing, warm fluids, or a fire.

Sponsored Links