May 17, 2024, 04:43:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Instructions for the synthesis of complexes  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Spring Lady

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Instructions for the synthesis of complexes
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
Does someone know where can I find instructions for the synthesis of complexes [Cr(H2O)6]3+, [Cr(NH3)6]3+, [Cr(H2O)6]3+ and [Co(NH3)6]3+? Anion in all complexes must be the same.

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: Instructions for the synthesis of complexes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:01:15 AM »
Does someone know where can I find instructions for the synthesis of complexes [Cr(H2O)6]3+, [Cr(NH3)6]3+, [Cr(H2O)6]3+ and [Co(NH3)6]3+? Anion in all complexes must be the same.

The first and the third are the same.
You could try to prepare it dissolving Cr(OH)3 with dilute HCl or dilute H2SO4 or dilute HClO4. In the first and second case, some complexes also with Cl- and with SO42- can form, after a while; in the third case I assume it doesn't form complexes with ClO4- but I'm not sure. Anyway, the pH must be  ~ in the interval [2;4].

About [Cr(NH3)6]3+ you can make it dissolving Cr(OH)3 with NH3 in excess, in presence of some NH4+ as buffer.

About [Co(NH3)6]3+ you can make it from a salt of Co2+ with ammonia in excess, letting it oxidise with air: at the beginning it forms the pink [Co(NH3)6]2+ and then the air oxygen oxidise it at the orange-yellow [Co(NH3)6]3+.

Offline Spring Lady

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
Thanks.
But, can you give me some instructions about laboratory equipment or procedure? Can I find it on the net?

Offline BluRay

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
Thanks.
But, can you give me some instructions about laboratory equipment or procedure? Can I find it on the net?
Given your initial question, it is assumed you know how to do in practise those things, but if you ask how to do, it means that you have very little knowledge of chemistry. Then it is very difficult to answer you without knowing in detail which are your chemistry's knowledges and skill.

Offline Spring Lady

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:19:19 AM »
Thanks.
Given your initial question, it is assumed you know how to do in practise those things, but if you ask how to do, it means that you have very little knowledge of chemistry. Then it is very difficult to answer you without knowing in detail which are your chemistry's knowledges and skill.

First, I only go to high school, but working on one project. And it is normal that I don't have a huge knowledge, but my knowledge isn't "very little"! I perhaps don't have a laboratory experience, because this is my first project, but my theoretical knowledge is very good. In chemistry, you can't say "muddle little of this and that, and you get something." So, I can't talk with people who know what it is, if I do not have written and prepared all the regulation. No matter if you both know what it is. Precision is important for research work.  ;)

Offline BluRay

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:06 PM »
Thanks.

First, I only go to high school, but working on one project. And it is normal that I don't have a huge knowledge, but my knowledge isn't "very little"! I perhaps don't have a laboratory experience, because this is my first project, but my theoretical knowledge is very good. In chemistry, you can't say "muddle little of this and that, and you get something." So, I can't talk with people who know what it is, if I do not have written and prepared all the regulation. No matter if you both know what it is. Precision is important for research work.  ;)
Ok, then you should know how to dissolve a chemical with another, for example.
About Cr(OH)3  you can prepare it from a Cr3+ salt and add a base, so that the pH reach a value in the interval ~ [6;10] then all hydroxide Cr(OH)3 precipitates and you can filter it out.
About oxidising a solution with air, is enough if you put it in a beaker and mix it with a glass rod or a magnetic stirrer for some time (you see it yourself when it's enough). I don't know what else you should need to know; in case ask.

Sponsored Links