May 06, 2024, 10:03:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: predicting structure using Carbon 13 NMR and IR  (Read 3044 times)

Offline namesis

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
predicting structure using Carbon 13 NMR and IR
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »
Compound X has a molecular formula $$C_7 H_9 O_2 F_3$$ and relative molecular mass (RMM) of 182.  The IR spectrum of X has two characteristic bands at 1650 and 1815 $$cm^{–1}$$.  In polar solvents such as DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide, Me2SO) the compound readily ionises to give a stabilised, symmetrical carbocation, A+, and the anion B–: 

Cation A+:  13C NMR:  δ 206, 85, 18 ppm.  RMM = 69. 
  Anion B–:  13C NMR:  δ 161 (1:3:3:1 quartet, J = 44 Hz), 118 (1:3:3:1 quartet, J = 282 Hz) ppm.  RMM = 113.     

Suggest, with explanation, a possible structure for compound X that fits these data.

From the IR, I can deduce that there will be a ketone on a 3 membered ring (1815) and probably a carbon double bond.

For cation A+ the presence of a ketone seems reasonable and possibly a carbon with a single bond with an Oxygen.

For anion B- the most reasonable thing seems to be a carbon with all 3 Fluorines on it connected to another Carbon that has a double bond with an oxygen.

Any help with that?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: predicting structure using Carbon 13 NMR and IR
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
For anion B- the most reasonable thing seems to be a carbon with all 3 Fluorines on it connected to another Carbon that has a double bond with an oxygen.

Any help with that?

Start with B- (easy), then go back to A+ (hard until you figure out B-).

I think you're very close here: CF3 and C=O groups - what else do you need to make an anion at MW = 113?

Now that you have B-, subtract its formula from X to give the formula of A+.

I know from the NMR and IR it looks like A+ is a carbonyl, but I suspect this is a red herring - allylic/benzylic carbocations also typically come around 200 ppm.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links