May 06, 2024, 11:47:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical spill in local water supply 4-methylcyclohexanol  (Read 3386 times)

Offline brucenator

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical spill in local water supply 4-methylcyclohexanol
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:25:40 PM »
aka 4-methylcyclohexane methanol
aka MCHM

Chemical leak

A large enough amount of this stuff was spilled into the local water supply that there is a 5 county wide water emergency warning not to use tap water for purposes of drinking or even for washing. Basically any physical contact. People are rushing to convenience stores in droves to buy bottled water or basically anything to drink.

Can anyone on this forum explain what this chemical turns into when it reacts with or mixes with water, and what the effects are if a person is exposed to this chemical through the water supply?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
Was 5 counties. Has now expanded to 8.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:48:26 PM by brucenator »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chemical spill in local water supply 4-methylcyclohexanol
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
A quick check of the local news confirms that this chemical doesn't react with water or other things in the water, to become something else.  Its simply a toxic compound, that has gotten mixed with the water supply.  In time, it may leave, or the water supply will need to be re-mediated.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline brucenator

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Chemical spill in local water supply 4-methylcyclohexanol
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
Dank je wel, Arkcon.

Luckily I already have jugs of water in my fridge from before the spill.
No telling how long this thing is going to last. The governor has called a state of emergency, and kids don't have to go to school tomorrow.

Do you or does anyone know the effects of this stuff?
The only info I could find online is on the CDC website, and it is the OSHA card for exposure to this chemical
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng0296.html
which of course is for occupational exposure and doesn't say a thing about when the chemical gets into the water supply.
Which is kind of funny because, among other things, it says, for skin exposure: "Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap."

Um, yeah, except what are workers to do when it's in the water, too? (Rhetorical question)

Sponsored Links