May 09, 2024, 07:21:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bromoform and Fluoroform  (Read 12591 times)

golden

Bromoform and Fluoroform
« on: December 17, 2005, 07:56:18 PM »
Does anyone know where I could find synthesis on Bromoform and/or Flouroform. I really couldnt find anything on the web and I cant think of any books.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re:Bromoform and Fluoroform
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 08:33:40 PM »
Fluoroform is used as a refrigerant.
Check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroform
for more info.

If you just want Fluoroform (to use it as a reagent) then check for things that contain it.

Bromoform has no real info either. If your looking to just make eather of the 2 good luck finding stuff. I can't find anything either.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 08:34:24 PM by constant thinker »
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 09:08:18 PM »
A bog standard haloform reaction, using a hypohalite salt and acetone will produce chloroform, bromoform and iodoform totally OTC, unless you have access to hypofluorite salts, which are somewhat exotic , you probably won't be able to synth fluoroform OTC.

Hypohalites can be synthesised by passing the halogen in question, in gaseous form into ICE COLD group I metal hydroxides, the same reaction, done in heated conditions, will form entirely the halate salt, which is good for OTC chlorates, bromates and iodates, but almost certainly won't form an oxyacid salt with flurine, not that you want to pass gaseous fluorine into water anyway :D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

golden

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 09:35:31 PM »
Like for

Bromoform- Sodium Hypobromite, Potassium Hypobromite

Fluoroform- Sodium Hypofluorite

These salts would then be dissolved in water, right?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 09:43:26 PM »

Offline Alberto_Kravina

• Assault Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +70/-15
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 07:50:26 AM »
Sodium Hypofluorite
Hypofluorite doesm't exist! The only ox-num of fluorine in compounds is -1

I made bromoform by myself by adding NaOH to 1,1,1-tribromoacetaldehyde and it worked.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:52:38 AM by Alberto_Kravina »

golden

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 09:17:02 AM »
Hypofluorite doesm't exist! The only ox-num of fluorine in compounds is -1

I made bromoform by myself by adding NaOH to 1,1,1-tribromoacetaldehyde and it worked.

Thanks, a lot

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 06:58:27 PM »
Hypofluorites DO exist, acetyl hypofluorite is frequently used in radiochemical synthesis for introducing a radiofluorine isotope into drugs for research purposes.

http://www.washington.edu/research/pathbreakers/1948b.html

Shulgin also used acetyl hypofluorite, as I remember, in the PIHKAl entry for 2,5-DMA, for radiolabelling of analogues of IDNNA.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 07:09:10 PM by limpet chicken »
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 10:36:13 AM »
I concur with limpet.  Hypofluorites do exist, but as ionic species they aren't the most stable of compounds.  In the formula OF-, I actually believe that oxygen exists in an oxidation state of 0 which is not very common and which would indicate a great deal of instability.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 09:35:30 PM »
So does that mean that hypoflourites are some of those compounds that all you have to do is look at them and then BOOM!
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 03:16:32 PM »
So does that mean that hypoflourites are some of those compounds that all you have to do is look at them and then BOOM!
They do not explode easily, but they quickly decompose. Indeed HFO is synthesised, but it is decomposed quickly and never was created in more than trace amounts.

The ion FO(-) also is very elusive and certainly not something the home/citizen chemist can make. So, you can make chloroform, bromoform and iodoform from the halogen and an alkaline acetone solution, but when fluorine is passed through an alkaline solution with acetone in it, then I'm quite sure that no fluoroform is formed.

Fluorine is so different from the other halogens, the only thing which coincides is the type of formula (F2, Cl2, Br2, I2), but in its chemical reaction it is VERY different. Just as all other elements in the same row differ a lot from the other elements in the same colums (e.g. O vs. S, Se, Te, and N vs. P, As, Sb, Bi). For the heavier elements there is a certain gradual change of properties, but the first element is anolamous.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Sponsored Links