May 11, 2024, 11:12:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Copper Roof  (Read 4998 times)

Offline alex

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Copper Roof
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:48:58 PM »
If left untreated for many years, a copper roof will turn green. What is the easiest way to restore the original copper colour?

Offline Kryolith

• Mole Snacks: +19/-4
Re: Copper Roof
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:33:50 PM »
I don't think there's a common way to destroy patina. I think lasers are used to remove it.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
If left untreated for many years, a copper roof will turn green. What is the easiest way to restore the original copper colour?

Sandpaper ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »
Sandpaper
On something as large as a roof? Are you crazy?
I would try some kind of powered buffer :); or at least an attachment you can put on a normal drill.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:31:50 AM »
Sandpaper
I would try some kind of powered buffer :); or at least an attachment you can put on a normal drill.

Whether you put it on a drill attachement or not, it is still sandpaper :)

But I suppose it will be easier done with some kind of appliance similar to the Kärcher car washer.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 08:06:19 AM »
Sandpaper

Crazy is as crazy does.  (I have no idea what that means, so don't ask)  The whole point of copper as an exterior finish is the attractive patina it acquires - whether it's an ancient bronze state, the Statue of Liberty, a medieval cathedral or some neo-Victorian house.  The patina protects the rest of the copper from further corrosion, and varies over time and across the surface.  The sandpaper comment by Borek was just to club the point home for the original poster.

You carefully sand the copper to it's bare metal.  Presumably, you apply a  lacquer, to prevent further corrosion, this process must be done rapidly, because the copper will begin corroding again quickly.  You'll have to reapply this lacquer periodically, because it will wear off.  All to have the only roof in the world that still has a newly minted copper penny color.  Meh, to each his own but ...

Copper is pretty expensive.  You might be surprised how thin the flashing is.  Too much sanding, and you're going to go through.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links