May 28, 2024, 07:50:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how long?  (Read 17275 times)

Offline Martingale

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
Re: how long?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:52 AM »
and what do you mean by : unless they have a terminal master degree? Whats that?

Some masters degrees are considered terminal degrees.

An MBA is usually considered a terminal degree. 
also...Performing Arts masters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_degree
Professor: Anywho, your net suits will let you experience Fry's worm-infested bowels as if you were actually wriggling through them.
Dr. Zoidberg: There's no part of that sentence I didn't like.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
Not sure whay you mean...MS is a terminal degree.  It is a step in a progression.  Back in the day it was the only progression.  My mother got her BS, MS, then PhD.

MBA is Masters of Business Administration....that is what the acronym stands for here...How is that TERMINAL?

Define TERMINAL Please.

Hell, I know some people with MBA making 200K+ a year.  My own boss has a BS from DeVry and he is at 200K+.  I have never met a DA from DeVry.  It is an excellent Technical College!!!! 

I teach on the side.  Have co-workers who teach on the side... If you have an MS...if you have Huge Life Experience...you can teach at a University..

Addressing the EASY thing...That is what I tought you meant...things are less rigid here...BUT let me tell you that there is also something very good to say about RIGID...

I have got to say I have NEVER yet met a Chemist from Poland or Russia who was not a KICK ASS CHEMIST...I mean they really know their stuff....I am sure there are some who do not...I have not yet met one....

I will go to one of them before I go to anyone else for HELP...because they have this way of explaining what I call THE WHY!!!!!

If you can explain THE WHY....then you can convey your ideas...so they stick with your audience....I never walk away from them with just an answer...I get a full-blown explanation...and that is important when you want to internalize and idea!!!!!

So whatever they are taught..however they are taught...they are taught well.  There is definitly something done right!!!!

I have 2 friends:  Anna#1 from Russia, and Anna#2 from Poland....and they are amazing Chemists.  I could just sit and listen to them for hours.  I walk away learning something...and I can always learn something!!!!!

Well in Belgium they dont even do that.
They dont even teach the introductionary courses.
They can only "teach" the practical stuff, meaning: things where you do not really need a professor for.
This means that you have a professor giving the theory and when you make excercises you will do those ex. under the supervision of a phd student.

Same here:  that is what Graduate students do.  They teach...they are Paid to Teach.  That is what a graduate stipend is for....you teach while you do your research!!!!!

But they do not necessarily go on to teach.  They go into industry too.  Sometimes they do both.  Infact, if they go into industry, thier company will have them teach.  Campanies send employees to training courses. 

I work at the compan headquarters which is out training headquarters.  I take many certification courses.  Learning is a lifelong process.  It never really stops.

You can teach at a University with an MS.  I have 8 years of University teaching and I have an MS.  My PhD is not complete.  YOU MUST HAVE THE MS!!!!!!

Now RLW is a Physics Professor at UW and she is well respected.  She is the only EM teacher.  She teaches by WebEX and it is televised.  She can finish her PhD at UW and will get tuition assistance as an employee.

Actually, if I wanted to take the easy way...I could get my PhD in Education...

Offline Martingale

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:19 PM »
Not sure whay you mean...MS is a terminal degree.  It is a step in a progression.  Back in the day it was the only progression.  My mother got her BS, MS, then PhD.

MBA is Masters of Business Administration....that is what the acronym stands for here...How is that TERMINAL?

Define TERMINAL Please.

I did...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_degree
Professor: Anywho, your net suits will let you experience Fry's worm-infested bowels as if you were actually wriggling through them.
Dr. Zoidberg: There's no part of that sentence I didn't like.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
OK...well, Iam not so sure about that...I know people with dual PhDs...I know one woman with 5 Masters-little over the top there from NYIT....but she is employed there and gets them tuition free!!!!

With the MBA your salary becomes so hig...who needs a PhD...will it gain you anything? Will it work against you?  Are you cutting yourself out of opportunities because you are now OVERQUALIFIED...

OMG I hate that term:  OVERQUALIFIED...i have lost out on so many jobs due to that CONCEPT!!!!

So...you will find out when you enter the job market...nothing beats REAL-LIFE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links