May 16, 2024, 01:56:15 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question regarding gradients (heat conduction)  (Read 5471 times)

Offline inspiration100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question regarding gradients (heat conduction)
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
Hello fellow Chem E's.  I just started taking a fluids class and I have something that has been bugging me greatly. 
I am reading about Fourier's law of heat conduction and keep running into a blockade in my mind about fluxes.  I don't know what it is, but I can't seem to get the picture in my head.
The book reads the following "The local rate of the heat flow per unit area (heat flux) in the positive y direction is designated by q(sub y)."

Simple enough, but if the heat flow is per unit area, how can it only be in 1 direction (y in this case)?  Can someone give me a better illustration on what this is trying to tell me?

Eternally greatful,
-inspiration100

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Question regarding gradients (heat conduction)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:15:33 AM »
Simple enough, but if the heat flow is per unit area, how can it only be in 1 direction (y in this case)?

Direction of the heat flow is perpendicular to the surface. There is only one direction that is perpendicular to the surface in a given point, isn't it?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline RealEngineer

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
    • MyChemE
Re: Question regarding gradients (heat conduction)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:02:46 PM »
According to the zeroth law of thermodynamics, heat will flow along a temperature gradient - in other words from a high temperature region to a low temperature region. 

In most heat transfer problems given to undergraduates, the temperature gradient is in one plane only, as a result the heat flow (or heat flux) is in one direction.   This keeps things simple whilst still presenting the theory.  Of course, real life is not always so straight forward - although it is a useful simplification even for many problems encountered in industry.
myChemE - Your Chemical Engineering Portal

Sponsored Links