May 08, 2024, 07:27:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction of 1,2-diaminoethane with 2,4-pentanedione - HNMR, CNMR  (Read 3179 times)

Offline _Oasis_

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reaction of 1,2-diaminoethane with 2,4-pentanedione - HNMR, CNMR
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:34:46 PM »
Hi,

I need to establish what the product of the reaction of 1,2-diaminoethane with 2,4-pentanedione would be, and then how that product would react with Ni2+. My research thus far suggests that 1,2-diaminoethane would react with one oxygen from each of two molecules of 2,4-pentanedione, and that the remaining two ketones would then react with the same nickel ion, forming a complex with nickel at the centre bonded to two nitrogens and two oxygens (hopefully that makes sense). What would the name of that complex be, if that's the correct product even?

Then, I need to determine what the H-NMR and C-NMR spectra of this molecule would look like. Would there be 6 singlets in the C-NMR spectra? For the H-NMR, I would expect two different methyl singlets, each with an integration of 6H, a CH singlet with an integration of 2H, and a triplet with an integration of 4H. The H-NMR I have doesn't look like that, so this is mostly where I get confused, and begin doubting the product I drew out, or my interpretation of how many proton signals it should give. Some guidance would be much appreciated.

The H-NMR I have looks like one singlet with an integration of 1H, a more up-field singlet with an integration of 2H, and an even more up-field singlet (that could also be a doublet, triplet, or pentet...the centre peak looks a bit like it could be a doublet, but there are also some tiny peaks off to the sides) with an integration of 6H. Unless the methyls are so similar that they're pretty much on top of each other, forming the latter peak whose multiplicity I'm unsure of...I don't know how to understand these relative integrations and signals. Some guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline mamid

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: Reaction of 1,2-diaminoethane with 2,4-pentanedione - HNMR, CNMR
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:46:50 AM »
[Sorry, got it wrong] ??? >:( :'(
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:59:04 AM by mamid »

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Reaction of 1,2-diaminoethane with 2,4-pentanedione - HNMR, CNMR
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 02:10:03 PM »
Why don't you post the structure of the complex you think you have here?
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links