May 15, 2024, 11:10:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Classifying as Homogeneous, Heterogeneous..etc  (Read 1844 times)

Offline jowiejoe

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Classifying as Homogeneous, Heterogeneous..etc
« on: September 27, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Whenever I encounter a problem like: identify two substances present, two phases present is a heterogeneous mixture, I get so confused. I know that a homogeneous contains only one visible distinct phase, but the way it is worded like that confuses me. For example, ice cubes in a water is a two phases present, one substance present. Does that mean, water and ice is the two phase, but what is this one substance? Another one is
water, dissolved sugar, dissolved carbon dioxide, and sand is a heterogeneous mixture, and two phase. So basically, it is saying that water, dissolved sugar, and carbon dioxide, is a one phase, because they all homogeneously mix, but sand is not, so which makes it a heterogeneous mix and 2 phase. This one, for example, one substance present, two phases present is a pure substance is a water?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Classifying as Homogeneous, Heterogeneous..etc
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:10:38 PM »
ice cubes in a water is a two phases present, one substance present. Does that mean, water and ice is the two phase, but what is this one substance?

Substance is water, H2O. I have a feeling you are missing the fact that water can be both a liquid and a solid - and the phases are not water and ice, but a liquid water and a solid water (called ice).

In general it looks to me like you are confusing "water" with a "liquid".

Another one is water, dissolved sugar, dissolved carbon dioxide, and sand is a heterogeneous mixture, and two phase. So basically, it is saying that water, dissolved sugar, and carbon dioxide, is a one phase, because they all homogeneously mix, but sand is not, so which makes it a heterogeneous mix and 2 phase. This one, for example, one substance present, two phases present is a pure substance is a water?

Once again, try to separate "water" as a substance and "liquid" as a phase (which doesn't have to consist of a single substance).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links